The school district was established in the summer of 1947.The permanent school was one of the best, if not the best equipped in the state, opening in the fall of 1948 and closing twenty years years later in 1968.
There were 1600 + students overall that attended the school with only 181 graduating from High School. Of the 181 graduates, only 30 attended all 12 grades at Pickstown.
School records show that 41% of the students attended one year or less, 64% attended for two years or less and 77% attended for three years or less. Due to the continuous moving of construction company employees, the town and school population constantly flucuated.